As the last few days and hours of this year and this decade tick away, I can't help but reflect back on this year. It's been a year of ups and downs, health scares but also many things to be grateful for, such as being able to create clean beautiful products that are good for our skin and our planet as well. As we prepare for the coming year and a brand new decade, we thought we share a few tips for being more joyous in the new year.
1. Laugh at least once a day. Laughter is the best medicine and laughter releases endorphins in the body and brings instant joy into your life.
2. Stay or become more grateful. Find at least 5 things each day you are grateful for and write them down or say them aloud. The habit of being grateful starts with appreciating every good thing in life and recognizing that there is nothing too small for you to be thankful for.
3. Reconnect with Nature at Least Once a Week. It’s important to enjoy nature and find time to explore. Just a few minutes a day spent in nature can help lift your mood and also helps get out out and moving which is good for both body and mind.
4. Get enough sleep. Researchers have found that getting enough sleep boosts happiness levels as an extra bonus, its great for your skin.
5. Take time for yourself. Is it selfish to take time for yourself? After a lifetime of helping and serving others, this is your time for yourself. Take that bubble bath, get that facial, take that Me-Time. Practicing good self-care is not selfish at all.
Here are some of my favorite Silvester (German New Year's Eve) traditions to bring in a new year.
1. Open the doors and windows right before Midnight to let the old year out and welcome the new year in.
2. Make a big batches of Glühwein (mulled hot wine) or Bowle (champagne punch with fruit, like a Sangria but with champagne, it is New Years after all)
3. Eat some Berliner Pfannkuchen (jelly-filled doughnuts) at midnight. To soak up all the wine and champagne.